Saturday, May 19, 2007

More Galaxies and Other Objects

Taking a last chance before the Moon becomes too prominent I took advantage of a relatively clear night to take out the telescope.

First I took a look at the crescent Moon before it went too low. The view did wobble but the craters on the terminator showed up wonderfully. the best were the trio Petavius, Vendelinus and Langrenus, and the craters North of the Mare Crisium, Cleomedes, Burckardt and Geminus. The ashen light was strong and the features on the shadowed part could be made out. I could easily see Plato, the Sinus Iridum, Aristarchus and even Grimaldi.

Venus was only about three degrees away from the Moon and I observed that it is now approaching half phase.

Next was my main objective, finding Messier objects I had never observed. First was the Black-Eye Galaxy M64. I starhopped from Vindemiatrix and easily found it. The galaxy is quite bright and stands out. However, I could only make out its shape without any detail. I tried to split the nearby double 35 Comae Bernices (separation 1") I'm not sure if I managed or whether it was just an effect of the optics. I then starhopped to the galaxy M85 which I also had not observed before. I easily found it. On the way I observed 24 Comae Bernices, it is a fine double with different coloured stars almost like a small Albireo. An attempt to see M98, M99 and M100 failed as I always find these three galaxies exceedingly faint.

It was then time for the culmination of Omega Centauri. This globular rises to about 6 degrees above the horizon from my latitude. I tried pointing the telescope in its direction but unfortunately it is too low for the dob as it lies below the rooftops and my binoculars can't make it out in the low haze. I guess I'll have to go somewhere with a clear South horizon to see it.

I observed Jupiter through the telescope for the first time this year. It was low and the cloud bands were not very distinct. Ganymede, Europa and Io were to the West and Callisto to the East. Above Jupiter I observed Vesta now to the West of a line between BS 6235 and Zeta Ophiuchi.

I used the UHC filter to observe M57 and NGC6543 (the Cat's-Eye Nebula in Draco). M57 is fascinating and the Cat's-Eye is bright. As I searched for NGC6543, a satellite crossed the field of view. While in Lyra, I had a look at Epsilon Lyrae and I managed to resolve both pairs at a magnification of x200.

I observed my favourite galaxies; the M81, M82 pair. With my 25mm eyepiece (mag x48) they are both in the same field of view. I find they are reasonably bright and their different shapes make for an interesting view.

I finished off with Saturn. Always spectacular, the Cassini Division and cloud bands were visible. Titan was to the South, Tethys and Dione to the East and Rhea to the West.