Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Comet Holmes 2

After a frustrating three nights in which I could not observe the comet because of cloud, tonight was finally clear. The comet has moved since I had last observed it on Friday, this time forming an isosceles triangle with Mirfak (Alp Per) at the apex and Del Per at the other side.

The comet had also expanded, It was now obviously non-stellar to the naked eye and looked stunning through binoculars.

The telescope view was fantastic. I roughly estimated the coma to be about 8.5 arcminutes across with the brighter central part slightly off centre. I also observed as the the star TYC 3334-512-1 (I hope I've identified it properly) showed through the coma just outside the brighter central part.

I hope there will be more clear nights to observe the evolution of this object.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home